Monday, September 17, 2007

Speaking of promotions..

Kent just called me about 15 minutes ago to let me know he got a promotion at work!  Yay!!  I'm totally proud of him.  He put in for it about a month or so ago.  I had actually forgotten about it and didn't think about it being time to find out if he got it or not, so when he called me he caught me off guard.  So I probably sounded not so excited, but really I am!!!  It means he is being noticed for the work he does, which it is always nice when someone notices.  I really am so proud of him!!

Also speaking of promotions, I just got through reading another SAHM's blog.  She had a pretty interesting post that I would say I agree with 99%.  She hit a lot of nails on the head.  Said things that I thought, but just never knew how to put it into words.  I'm by no means a writer, which is obvious by my.. hmm.. writing.  But she put it the way I thought it and now I just want to share it with you.  Here is an actual link to her page (BECAUSE I SAID SO) and I will just copy and paste the part of the post that I found the most interesting.  And underline the stuff that I really have wanted to say, just didn't know how.  Go over and read her stuff.  She is one funny lady!

*********Someone recently emailed me an article about stay-at-home-moms. The article stated that if stay-at-home-moms were paid for all that they do, their yearly salaries would amount to $131,471. Wow! Could you imagine bringing in a six figure income for changing diapers? Not that I don’t love being paid in dirty laundry, messy bathrooms, dandelion bouquets, and sloppy kisses, but seriously - six figures!

I believe the writer of that article estimated a stay-at-home-mom’s salary based on the idea that she was caring for one child. I have six children - well, seven if you count my husband. I think that would bump my salary up a bit. Besides being the cook, chauffeur, day care teacher, maid, nurse, general maintenance worker, tutor, shopper, boo-boo kisser, errand runner, project manager, accountant, bug squisher, and laundry doer (I have no idea what you call someone who does laundry. Other than MOM, that is), I am a Sunday school teacher and a brownie leader. That’s got to worth a little bonus, I imagine.

I think we should be getting tips on a daily basis as well. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve picked the kids up from school, only to have my children thrust their backpacks at me whining, “This is too heavy. Will you carry it?“

“Well, my darling child, that would make me a bellhop and I believe the going rate is $2 a bag.”

“Oh you want me to make you a snack? No problem. I’ll play waitress. You can just tip me 20% of your bill.”

And this is no ordinary 9 to 5 job. We’re on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We get no sick time, vacation time, or personal days.

My husband doesn't understand this. Now I’m not saying the grass is any greener where he stands. He works a lot of hours only to come home and hear me complain that he’s never home. When he’s here I complain that we don’t have enough money to pay our bills. The poor guy’s stuck between a rock and well, me. But the thing he doesn’t fully understand is that although he works a ton, he gets a paycheck at the end of the week. He gets an evaluation every year where he’s patted on the back for a job well done. He gets kudos on his handiwork on a regular basis. It’s nice to get positive feedback for the hours you put into your work.

I have yet to hear my children say, “You’re doing an awesome job, Mom! Keep up the good work!” or, “Wow Mom! This laundry smells so clean!” or, “If you keep this up, you’ll be getting a raise!” And the phrase, " Amazing! I’ve never seen the toilet sparkle so!” surprisingly enough, has never been uttered in my house. Although I know I’m doing an important job, it’s nice to be told so once every ten years or so. From now on, when I’m feeling useless, I’m going to remember that I’m really earning a six figure salary, but opting to take payment in kisses.

I don’t think moms who work outside the house have it any better either. They have to go put in their 40 hours a week and then come home and do all the “mom jobs” too. So, to ALL the underappreciated, overworked moms out there - “You’re doing an awesome job! Keep up the good work and if you’re lucky, some day you may just get a promotion to the position of Grandmother!”***********

I don't think my job is easy, but do I think I have the hardest job in the world.. no.  I think moms who have sick children who still have to keep a job to keep health insurance or moms who want to stay home with their kids but can't because of money issues are the ones who have the tough jobs.  I love what I do (most of the time) and not many people can say that about their jobs.  To some it's about money, totally.  But to me it's about being here for my kids.  They benefit more by me being at home than they ever would by me being at work just so they have the nicer toys.  I think about all the moments I would have missed if I were working.  All the kisses that someone else would be getting if I were at work instead of at home.  Do you know how valuable those little kisses are?  ESPECIALLY when they are given without being asked!  Priceless!!  Yes it would be nice to be making the six figures but at the end of life do people sit in their death beds and count their money or do they count their good memories in life?  I like to think I'll be counting the latter.

No comments: