Sunday, July 31, 2005

I really want to cry...really!

It's a bitter sweet moment for me at this time.  And Kent isn't here at the moment for me to run to and either celebrate with or cry on.  So I'll come here and tell yall about it...

I have been debating for MONTHS now about how to get Jon Kent (he is almost 9 months old) to sleep better and to sleep on his OWN!  I am not a fan of the "cry it out" method, especially really early on (3 months or so).  If it worked for you...good, but for me it just didn't "feel" right at that stage.  So anyway, the past few nights...ok a week or longer...Jon Kent has been really hard to get to go to sleep and stay asleep for anything length of time.  Six hours was the max for him and that was a GOOD night.  Plus, it would take me 30 minutes or longer to get him to actually go to sleep.  So I got to thinking that I really needed to do something because once Zoey gets here I would really like for him to be able to go to sleep on his own.  So last night I semi tried the cry it out thing.  I bathed him, feed him, and let him doze a little and put him in his bed and told him night, night.  He cried for 5 minutes, so I went back in there, calmed him down and told him night, night again.  Then I walked out.  He cried for about 5 minutes or so and got quiet but then started crying again.  After 10 minutes I went back in there and picked him up and rocked him to sleep.  To which he slept 11 hours STRAIGHT!!  Woohoo!!  OK, now for the "I want to cry" part.  Tonight I bathed him, fed him, and kissed him on the forehead and said goodnight.  He cried for about 3 minutes and I haven't heard a peep out of him since.  So he went to sleep on his own.  Now, this is good it really is...but I really just want to cry now.  First off, I HATE with a passion for him to cry and for me to hear him cry "mama" and not just go running into his room.  It breaks my heart.  Another reason is, if this is a routine now for him, he is slowly but surely needing me less and less.  And that really makes me want to cry.  My little man is growing up and although I am happy about it, at the same time it makes me sad.  Am I crazy??  Probably so...  But at least it's NOT because of lack of sleep...  *giggles*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness.  I hate to tell you this, but it gets so much worse :-)  Enjoy his sweet little face now.  In some ways, he doesn't need you, but in the most important ways he always will.  Pamela