Saturday, March 31, 2007

Something about life and lemons and making lemonaide

I've had a bad few days.  Nothing horrible, just bad.  I have been in a mood lately.. a funk if you will.. that just won't go away.  I've gone back to my old ways of second guessing myself about EVERYTHING it seems.  Am I raising my kids right, should I get a job outside of the home, should I have punished the kids that way, should Jon Kent be pottied trained by now, is it something I'm doing wrong..  Over and over and over again.  Minute after minute, hour after hour, day after day..  And let me tell you.. it gets old.. QUICK!  But it will pass.. it always does.  I just hate it when it's here..

Kent was up for a promotion at work.  Didn't get it though.. at least not yet.  We think there are still a couple more spots left open that he could possibly get, but we are trying not to get our hopes up too much.  Kent said him and his boss (we hope his boss leaves soon!) don't get along.  Something along the lines of his boss plays mind games and Kent doesn't play along with him.  Kent will get the promotion eventually.. he's a hard worker and a good co-worker.  He will get it on his own terms.. without lowering his standards.  Which will be the best reward in the end!  So for that I am very proud of him.

The possibility of us moving isn't out of the question either.  Although after JUST building a house it would take a lot to get us to move.  But the option is still there.. especially if it's worth it.  We'll see I do suppose.

The kids are both doing well.  They are loving the fact that they get to play outside allll day long.. everyday.  They both have good little tans from it too.  Every morning after we get up, Jon Kent immediately asks if we can go "outside".  To which I reply, "After we eat breakfast and put our play clothes on."  To which his reply is "French toast!".  Also, as I've alreadied stated we are trying to potty train Jon Kent.  Not going so well.  When we go to the bathroom he immediately freezes up.  And if I even nudge him towards the toilet he begins to cry... so.. we have resorted to bribing.  Here is how a conversation might go between us on any given day..

While changing a poopie diaper:

Me:  You know Jon Kent, if you poopied in the potty you wouldn't have to stop playing to get your diaper changed.

JK:  Jon Kent not poopie..

Me:  Yes you did poopie.  If you poopie in the potty like a big boy, Mommy will take you to Wal-Mart to get a toy.

JK:  Jon Kent poopie kajdskafsj potty akdajls;afjd;as Wal-Mart get toy.  Poopie dkfjakldfjl potty Jon Kent big boy.

Me:  Yup if you will just poopie in the potty we will get you a toy from Wal-Mart and you will be a big boy.

JK: Down...

To which I let him down to go play.  Kids these days.. can't even bribe them to do something.  What's the world coming to?!?!!?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Em - We are just starting potty training here and every child is different - I don't think it reflects on you at all.  Where would you guys be moving to if that is what happens?

Anonymous said...

Every child is different and I wouldn't worry or push on the bowel movements at all, those normally come last, because many children see them as a part of themselves.

A lot of people may not be comfortable with it, but I can share with you the easiest way of pt boys...let them be naked! Lots and lots of praise. Jon Kent is still very young and the average for boys is 3 1/2 for potty training. He'll get it!! He really will!!! Sometimes when kids are as close in age as yours are they do it together too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're in a funk.   I'm sure you're doing everything just perfectly! Potty training is a nightmare, isn't it?! lol I'm going to attempt the bare bottom thing once I'm out for summer break.  I must get Rylie trained before September when baby2 arrives! lol  Where/why would y'all move?

Anonymous said...

(((hugs))) I'm sorry that you are in a funk. I will tell you that I think you are an amazing women & a wonderful Mom :) I hope things start to go better with potty training. I'm not looking forward to starting it this summer with Ryan.