Friday, July 20, 2007

Runner's High

Growing up I never did any drugs, whatsoever.  Didn't smoke or drink.  So I never knew any other high than the ones you get after getting an A on a test or after scoring a goal in soccer... you know the "earned" types of highs.  I wasn't much of a runner in school.  Hated it in fact when we had to do it for soccer.  I would start dry heaving and my sides would start to cramp up.  It was just horrible.  But after having Jon Kent I started running.  Of course that last 3 months before I had to quit because of getting pregnant with Zoey.  But then after Zoey I started doing it again.  I now actually love doing it.  I set aside an hour about 3-4 days a week to just run and workout.  Of course there have been times where I would go a month without doing it, but the whole time I would miss it.  I usually run between 30-45 mins and then with the rest of my time I do light weight training.  The high you get while running can't be compared to any other high that *I've* had.  I believe it's the purest of highs.  It makes you want to push yourself just a little bit farther.  To run just a little bit longer.  And then when you are done, you have more energy than you came with.  It's really amazing.  I've wanted to train to run a marathon at some point in my life.  It's one of those things on my list of "Got to do this before I die".  I'm hoping I do it.  Right now I'm up to a steady mile and a half without getting winded at all.  I can do about 2 and half miles but afterwards I'm pretty winded.  I want to get to 3 miles without losing my breath and once I do that, I hope to look into marathons of that type.  We'll see.

No comments: