Friday, May 12, 2006

I've had a bad day

That song that plays on American Idol when they are kicking someone off...  Forgive me for not knowing the name of it, as I know it's a popular song or whatever...  Something to the tune of --Had a bad day...

Anyway getting off subject...

I've had a B-A-D day.  And I do mean BAD!  In fact, I don't think I've had this bad of a day in a long time.  Let me think...  Nope not this bad.

Today Kent asked me to go deposit a check into our checking account.  So I figured while I was doing that I would run by Wal-Mart and pick up a few things.  So I piled Jon Kent, Zoey and myself into the car and off we go.

After picking up the needed items I head back to the car with kids in tow.  I put Jon Kent into the car and hand him my keys.  He was being fussy and handing him my keys always calms him down until I can get everyone loaded in.  I close his door and start walking to the other side of the car to load Zoey into her car seat.  And *click* the doors of the car lock.  At first I didn't think anything of it.  As my hand was moving towards the handle of the door to open it, I froze.  That *click* was MY car locking with my CHILD IN IT!!!

OK, so admittedly I should have been freaking out by that point.  Having a complete panic attack...the works.  Instead, I just took a couple of deep...REALLY deep breaths.  I walk around to Jon Kent's side of the car and start trying to coach him into pushing the button.  And guess what...he does....only it's the LOCK button so at this point my car is honking and honking and honking.  And I look into the car and see Jon Kent giggling.  NOT FUNNY Jon Kent!  But I couldn't help but laugh to myself only because I knew one day when he was a parent and his child locks him out of the house or car or spacecraft (you never know with advance technology) that I would be able to smile and giggle to myself because I had been there...

OK, back to the present times...

So after about 5 or 10 minutes of trying to get him to push the unlock button a guy comes over and asks if I locked myself out of my car.  I tell him that no *I* hadn't locked myself out but my child HAD locked himself INSIDE my car.  So he lets me use his cell phone (mine was in the car along with my purse and oh, the milk) and I start calling EVERYONE and anyone that I could think of that I thought could help me.  I called Kent's Granny and she wasn't home but she did end up calling the guy's cellphone back and I told her what was going on.  I think she freaked out more than I did at first.  So meanwhile the guy who let me use his phone calls a locksmith for me.  While waiting on the locksmith, Granny and Pops come and I tell them that I remembered that Kent was on a medical trip taking an inmate to get kidney treatments done.  And the facility was right up the road from Wal-Mart.  So Pops runs over there and grabs Kent's set of keys.  But before he could come back, the locksmith had come and popped the door open.  I grabbed Jon Kent up and just hugged him.  Thankfully the weather here had been unseasonably cool so it wasn't too hot (still hot enough to make Jon Kent break a sweat) in the car.  He was OK and we are all OK.  So I guess in the end that's all that matters.  Just another story to tell the grandkids about...*sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Jordyn was just a couple months old, Chad was in Germany and had mistakenly taken his truck key with him, insteand of leaving it...I had gotten into a habit of locking the door when I got out and of course locked the doors when we were driving. I threw the keys into the diaper bag, which was on the floor of the truck, got out, locked the truck door, and went to get Jordyn out...who was sleeping at that point, and locked in. It took the locksmith about 15 or 20 minutes to get it unlocked, it was about 65 that day, so she was fine, but I was a mess!
She was fine, he unlocked the doors, and I went and had a copy of the key made the very next day! :)
On a positive, I've never done it again and now my 5 yr old is in a booster and can undo his seatbelt, and unlock the door if he needs to, but so far hasn't been necessary! :)

God bless
Christy

Anonymous said...

Goodness girlie....
Glad things turned out ok...but i
would have freaked out prolly...
you handled it very well =)
Have a wonderful weekend and
Happy Mothers Day
Hugss..~Terri~