Monday, October 8, 2007

Chronicles of Potty Training: Day 1

I'll apologize ahead of time for any errors or grammar mistakes I may make in this entry.  As I'm having to type with a twitching eye.  If only I WAS joking...

Well, today was day one of Jon Kent's potty training.  And from here, there is no turning back.  We have told him that there will be no more diapers and that he is to use the potty from here on out.  His reward at the end of this(when he is moderately trained) is that he gets to go to school.  There is a Mommy's Day Out program in my area that we have been looking at sending the kids to once or twice a week.  So they can interact with other kids their ages.  Anyway, he gets all excited about it every time we remind him of his potty training goal.

OK, so the day starts off well.  He has on his big boy underwear that he picked out and we are good to go.  After we eat breakfast I smell something.  I thought it was Zoey but I was wrong.  It was Jon Kent.  He pooped in his underwear.  I take him to the bathroom to get cleaned up.  And while I'm getting the poop out of his underwear I come this close (__) from throwing up.  Now, I've been changing diapers for almost 3 years now and have never come as close as I did today to puking.  Anyway, I get him cleaned up and remind him again that we don't pee or poop in our underwear.  So we go out to play.  I ask several times if he has to pee or poop.  "No" he says.  A little bit later.. a river breaks free from his Spiderman undies and off we go to change.  I'm still reminding him pee is for the potty not our underwear.  So a little while later he comes running into the living room telling me he pottied!!  He was so excited.  "I sit on the potty momma!!!".  Well, he did, only he didn't take his shorts or underwear off before doing so.  Change number 3..  Nap time.  Oh sweet nap timePULL-UPS!!!!!!!!!!!  After nap he wakes up and he eats.  We go to sit on the potty and he pees!  Only a little, but I'll take it.  He tells me he is through so off we go back outside to play.  2 minutes later... TWO MINUTES LATER... he is peeing all over the garage!  Grrr.. off we go to change.  Kent's grandparents wanted to keep the kids this afternoon.  I warned them about our situation and told them that if they didn't want to deal with the first few days of potty training that it was fine for the kids to stay at home.  But they said they wanted them anyway.  So off to their house they went.  Kent's grandparents have a little potty, so it was all good.  Well, Jon Kent peed on their couch.. =X  Good thing it's leather.  Later on he did finally, finally pee in the potty and a lot of pee at that!  YAY!!!!  So lets recap.. Jon Kent-5, Potty-2.

Thus the twitch in my eye.  Oy!!!  But there always has to be a first day.. things will get better.. things will get better.. things will get better.. things will get better...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am rolling!!!!!!!!!  Sorry, but it is so!!  Good luck, it brings back sweet memories of Brandon and Kent "back in the day".  Love to all!!!!!!  Darlene

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Emily. We are in this together. We started our potty training adventures yesterday as well. Ryan peed & pooped in his undies a few times but today seems to be going much better for us. I'm here for you if you need to chat. Maybe we can help eachother with this :-)