Monday, October 29, 2007

Homeschoolin'

Kent and I were out on a date the other night and we swung by Office Max to grab something for Kent's work.  Romantic, no?  Anyway, Kent was off looking at stuff and I was just browsing around.  I came to the preschool section and was looking at some of the books.  They had several different workbooks to choose from that taught kids ages 2-4 different things.  Letters, colors, numbers, etc.  So I grabbed one that was for ages 2-4 and that was supposed to get the child ready for preschool.  So today while we were eating breakfast I told Jon Kent that we were going to do some school at home today.  Because we haven't enrolled them in the "Mommy's Day Out" program yet because they were both sick last week and then this week they are going to get their flu shots.  So we are putting it off for another week.  Anyway, when I said the word school that boy's face lit up and he was ready!  So after we cleaned up from breakfast I got the little workbook out and tore out a page.  I set us up a little area on the kitchen table where he could do his "school" while Zoey colored.  Anyway, we only did one page today because I thought for sure he would be bored with it.  But he wasn't!  He did everything and once I explained how to do something like draw a line matching the two color trains to each other, he could do it!  I was just so proud of him!  After he was through with that, he colored with Zoey.  Then we went to read and play a little bit before nap time.  I'm trying to get them both into a routine of eating, learning, playing, nap, etc.  It won't be every single day but at least most.  So when they do start going to school they will be used to some form of a routine.  Anyway, I'm just proud of my little boy.  Because that's what he is, a boy.. he's certainly growing out of being a baby.. but he'll always be MY baby.. sniff, sniff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I keep telling you, they are always your little babies.  Isn't that what you fuss at me about?