Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Worried

I don't remember when Jon Kent started throwing up all his feedings but Nathan has started doing the same.  I want to say it was around the 2 week mark, which Nathan is nearing.  Ugh, I'm so hoping it's not the same outcome.  Jon Kent ended up having acid reflux, which made it hard to stick to nursing.  We ended up having to put him on special formula that was a billion dollars a can.  Ridiculously high stuff.  I felt completely guilty for "letting him down" by stopping the nursing.  It was just a really bad time in my life that I hate to even relive through memories.  And now it looks like we *might (really hope not) be dealing with the same thing.  Ugh.  Ugh.  Ugh!!!!  Every time or every other time I feed Nathan he throws it back up.  Like a fountain out of his mouth AND nose.  It's so hard, because he is hungry so I feed him but then he throws it up.  We both get cleaned up and then he is fussy and mad because he is still hungry.  Vicious cycle.  I was really hoping we wouldn't have to deal with this again.. really hoping.  And I'm still hopeful that maybe.. just maybe that this is a phase that he will out grow quickly.  Nathan has an appointment to see the doctor on the 22nd for his 2 week check-up.  I'm going to ask her about it and see if she thinks it's really reflux.  If it is then we will cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.  But I'm pretty determined to stick to nursing.  Even though it is frustrating having to change clothes 50 times a day.  I really am sooo hoping we can through this and it's not a long term thing.  REALLY hoping..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to read you a year or two ago, but wanted to say congrats on the birth of Nathan, he's beautiful.

As for the reflux have you went and looked at Dr. Jay to see if he has any suggestions
http://www.drjaygordon.com/index.htm

or  Kellymom.com

I know there are lots of bf mom's out there who's babies have had reflux and there are meds they can give so they can continue to have a healthy nursing relationship. I hope it's not reflux and that you can all just move past this and continue a great nursing relationship.

I've made my journal private, if you want to read just email me.

God Bless and Congratulations again

Christy

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that ya are going through this again.
I really hope it all works out and ya can continue to BF Nathan.
I will definitely keep yall  in my prayers!!
I know Nathan is almost 2 weeks old and this is late but...CONGRATULATIONS!!
Even though I dont always comment, I've been reading your journal for such a long time now.
I remember reading entries from when Jon Kent and when Zoey was born.
I also remember reading way back when ya first started your journal.

The other night I was bored as I am plagued with Insomnia from time to time and
I was reading some of your older entries and this one where ya was talking about  doing water aerobics(way back when) and the old ladies that would come up to ya  in the changing rooms and they would be naked. LOL!
In this one entry ya are here like 'Didnt do much today, saw some old naked ladies, but hey what's new about that?"
Oh my gosh I was laughing so hard.
HEEHEE!!
Ok, totally got off track there.
I am sooo happy  for yall that Nathan is finally here. YAY!!
((((HUGS))))
Angel
http://journals.aol.com/serenity459/JustAnotherDay/


Anonymous said...

AWW I am SO sorry he's having problems. Lets hope that all clears up!  I loved the pics!  He is adorable and it's so great you find time to finger paint with Zoe while going through this!  I hope your days get better with Baby Nathan!   Poor little guy!  

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, this too shall pass.....he is so precious....

Aunt KK

Anonymous said...

Ellie Jo had reflux, but she was what they called a "happy puker," meaning that she still gained weight, so we just dealt with it. We even tried zantac and something else, but found that keeping her still about a half hour after each nursing was the biggest help. Go to la leche leage .com, they have lots of good advice.
Congrats on that sweet baby!
~Erin

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all of you :)  Nathan is gorgeous...or handsome but gorgeous sounds more accurate.

I had to do the wickedly expensive formula with my first...they thought it was lactose intolerance.  Either it wasn't or she grew out of it.  But I remember that I did have to keep track of what I was eating...checking for things to signal allergies.  I hope it works out for both of you...I know how tough it is to give that up so early.

Take care and smell that sweet baby head for me :)
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

I totally feel your pain on the reflux issue.  Abby and Em both had it starting at 2 weeksish.  Have you tried nursing him with him sitting up?  That really helped Abby, along with Zantac.  It was almost like the longer she sat up after she ate, the better.  Hang in there, Moma.