Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm alive!!!

So I went to the doctor yesterday at 2pm.  Cried through the whole appointment.. so embarrassing.  Anyway, the doctor could see how much pain I was in and when he felt of my abdomen he said I was VERY tender, which wasn't good.  So he said he wanted me to be directly admitted into the hospital and put on pain medicine, antibiotics, fluids and vitamins.  He said I would still have my surgery Monday.  We didn't understand why I was just going to sit in the hospital for 3 days instead of just going ahead and having surgery.  We found out later from my sister-in-law that doctors don't like operating on an inflamed gallbladder if they don't have to.  So they are giving me the antibiotics to get that under control by Monday for my surgery.  I asked the doctor if I would still be able to nurse Nathan and he don't me he didn't think so.  So I immediately started crying all over again.  I didn't want Nathan to have any formula and I knew I didn't have enough milk to last as long as we needed.  So when we got to the hospital I asked a nurse if she could double check for me about the nursing and she said she thought I COULD still nurse but she would go double check with the pediatrician (they have me on the delivery/nursery floor) and let me know.  So later we find out that I CAN still nurse Nathan and that all the medicines they are giving me are safe.  The nurse said her and the pediatrician even went and looked it up just to take double sure.  So Nathan has been spending some time up here to nurse and then I am pumping as well.  That was such a relief!  I'm doing well.  The pain comes and goes but is no where near as bad as it was yesterday and I'm just happy to be doing better.  My surgery is for first thing Monday morning and I should be back home that evening.  Kent and I are working on getting someone to stay at the house every day while he goes to work since he is getting short on sick days.  We should have enough people to help out.  I'm currently on a clear liquid diet which stinks because I am finally wanting to eat!  So once I'm out and able to eat normally again, I plan on pigging out for one big meal!!  LOL.  Well, that's my update!  I hope everyone is doing well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my gallbladder removed when Caitlin was 5 weeks old. I went in the day before Thanksgiving and was released Thanksgiving morning. The surgeon told me I wouldn't feel like eating for a few days, he was wrong I ate a full Thanksgiving meal and felt fine. A few months later though Greg and I were travelling to Kansas City, stopped for lunch and about 20 min after eating, I had these horrible stomach cramps. Labor and gall bladder attacks......nothing compared to these. These lasted for about 10 minutes and then I had to stop and use the rest room. For about two hours after that, anytime I'd get these cramps, I'd have to find a bathroom. I watched what I ate and laid off the greasy foods the rest of the trip and I was fine but then a month or two later I had a salad and the same thing happened. This went on for years. So just a heads up there. It does get better. I haven't had a 'lack of gall bladder attack' in almost 6 months now and I feel great.

After surgery I was only able to lift baby for I think it was 2 weeks and that did NOT including lifting her in the carseat.

Anonymous said...

Em - when I had my gallbladder out I was in the hospital for a week because it was so bad that my pancreas and liver swelled causing pancreatitis and they wouldn't operate until they got the swelling down.  I was on IV's with nothing by mouth for 5 days!!!  So I totally feel your pain.  If you have any doubts about nursing - when Ella was 1 month old I had hernia repair surgery and I was told by every single one of my docs that I could still pump and nurse and Ella did just fine.  I'm glad you are starting to feel a little better.  I know it's hard to be away from the kids but try and think of it as a little vacation for you to just lay around and do nothing except read and watch tv!!!  Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I had my gallbladder taken out in Nov they waited 2 days because my hemigolbin was low!!!

Sharon