Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Leap Day

Happy Leap Day to all.  I really don't know what is so special about leap day and why they put it in this particular month (except for the fact that it is the shortest month).  I understand the whys of it and how each year there is 365 days and 6 hours so every 4 years they had a day.  But what I would really like is to have an extra hour every so often added to the day.  That would give me 25 hours to get everything done.. because some days I just need that extra hour...

So from what I understand about the traditions of leap day is that you are supposed to do something crazy with your "free" day.  So... what can I do that is crazy?  Still at a loss for that one...

Kent is currently somewhere in the skies as I type this.  He had to go up north to transfer some inmates to another prison.  He called me earlier to let me know it was really, really cold where he was and that he was glad he was from the south (AMEN!).  He said it was to the point of unbearable to even stand outside for any amount of time.  He should be home this afternoon and back to the semi-warm south.

The kids and I were outside earlier today when the Wagon Trail came by.  It's just a bunch of people in covered wagons riding their horses down the "wagon trail" from the wagon days.  They do it once a year and we have been able to watch it for the past few years since it goes right past our house.  The kids loved it and loved seeing all the horses.  I'm glad we happened to be outside and caught it because I had no clue it was coming by today.

After watching it we went to go back inside the house because the wind was blowing pretty hard and it was getting cool.  Not to mention it was nearing the kids' nap time.  But stupid me locked us out.  With Kent up north somewhere, Kent's grandparents (who live right now the road) off grocery shopping and Kent's parents (who live next door) both working, I was out of options.  But I did manage to get Kent's mom on the phone (thankfully my cell phone was in the car and actually charged) and she was at the post office which was just a few minutes away.  So while we waited we played baseball.  I was glad to get back inside though as I didn't have a coat on and was starting to get a bit chilled.

Well, that is all for now.  I hope everyone enjoys their extra day!!  March begins tomorrow and hopefully we can get some Spring weather to come in with the new month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just think...if you were born on a leap day...you wouldn't really have that many "REAL" birth days!   How strange!  OH I would have lOVED seeing the wagon train.  We are watching the series directed by Michael Landon JR and they had the wagon trains on there.  Older movies (Little House on the Prairie type) and they are SO good.  I think there was 6 movies in the mini series.