Friday, August 15, 2008

Ugh.

I dropped the kids off at "school" this morning and Zoey was good to go.  Jon Kent screamed... and I mean SCREAMED.  It was that ear piercing scream that makes your skin crawl.  One of the workers took him out and I said my good-byes to Zoey and high tailed it.  When we went to pick them up they were both happy and excited to see us.  The teacher said that Jon Kent even made friends with another little boy (Gunter, I believe was his name) and he did fine.  As we were getting into the car Jon Kent told me he didn't want to go back to school.. ever.  That he was put in time out, again.  I asked him why he was put into time out and he said, "Because I was crying for you."  Ugh.  Make me feel as small as an ant, why don't you...  He has since told me repeatedly that he doesn't want to go back to school.  Zoey does, but he doesn't.  Part of me just wants to keep him at home so he doesn't cry and scream anymore.  It was pretty heart breaking.  But another part of me wants him to get used to it.  Because next fall we are going to put him into a pre-K class at one school or another.  And once he is in there he is staying, period.  I just don't know what to do.  I'm torn about it.  He would benefit so much from the mother's day out because he is socializing with other kids.  He is such an anti-social kid (sadly he gets it from me).  But once he gets in there and gets going he seems to be fine.  I just worry that if we keep pushing him he will start resenting "school" and not look forward to it anymore.  I don't know.  What should I do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--
That's a tough one.  It's hard when you know something would be good for your kids but they fight you at every turn. I guess only you can decide, with your hubby, as to what is best for your boy. But seeing how he needs to go next year I would try and have him stick it out.  Maybe you could work out a reward system for him.

A friend of mine had a similar problem and every day that he went he got a mini-candy bar as a reward. He also got a sticker to put on his chart. After so many stickers he earned a reward of his choice--a one-on-one outing with mommy or a toy or something of the sort. Even a few hours at the park with just mom or dad was a huge hit. Maybe something like that would work.  Good Luck!

Janis

Anonymous said...

Keep him going.. if you pull him out now he'll just think if he repeats the performance next year that he'll get out then too and you'll have to go through it then. It sounds to me like he doesn't want to go back because he got in trouble not because he really truely doesn't like it. I think the socialization aspect it a great thing for both kids. Keep it up momma!

Cheli