Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Kids' School Update and Some Politics

The kids haven't been to "school" in over a week.  Some of it has to do with me, but most of it has to do with the daycare.. or at least the Mother's Day out part of it.  I didn't really like the way it was set up.  There was no real rhyme or reason to it.  They didn't do activities or have a special time for "learning" (no book reading, coloring, etc.).  They had music time, but I think it was only on Fridays.  The rest of the time two ladies sat in chairs and watched the kids play.  I would pack a snack every day for them and would tell the workers where it was in their bags.. everyday their snacks were never eaten.  So they went from 7:30am-12:30 or 1pm without eating or drinking........  The whole situation just didn't sit well with me.  It was just something in my gut that said.. "Umm, this just isn't right."  So, once the kids got sick and contagious.. lol.. we kept them out of school and while I miss having those days free to clean, grocery shopping and spend solo with Nathan, I couldn't justify spending $240 a month for them to be kept and have no "growth" from it.  So whatever.  We found out today that the school district that we are going to send the kids to has a Pre-K program for 3 year olds and 4 year olds.  I think I'm going to call them and see about getting the kids (Jon Kent and Zoey) in next year.  We were told there was a waiting list so I want to go ahead and try to get them on it sooner rather than later.

OK, this may shoo away some of my readers.. but here goes.  I'm a Republican.  Proud of it, too.  I'm not thrilled with McCain but versus the contrary, he'll do.  I like his VP nomination.  I know to some he is just going after the "Hilary" vote.  And he may be..  Smart man, I say.  And now with Sarah Palin's daughter taking spotlight it would seem he made a bad choice.  But I wouldn't agree.  I think the Palin family is doing all the right things.  They have been honest and up front about this.  They are proud of their daughter for keeping the baby (rather than killing him/her) and they have been straight forward that it will be hard for the teen parents and it will indeed be a hard road for them.  They haven't sugar coated it to them.  And at the same time they are proud to be grandparents.  Who, if they truly loved their child, wouldn't be?  In a perfect world the kids would have waited to become parents.. but this isn't a perfect world.  So the Palins are doing what any grandparents would do for their unborn grandchild.. they are supporting that child's parents by being there for them and lending a hand where a hand is needed.  I like what I see in Sarah Palin.  I think she is a strong woman who has balanced being a wife and mother with having a career.  I think she can bring a great spot light to causes for children with Down Syndrome.  She seems to have done well as a governor and I think she will do fine as a VP.  All those who wanted Hilary Clinton in the White House because "it's time for a woman to be at the White House.." well here you go.  She's a woman, she's a mother and in 4 months(ish) she'll be a grandmother too!  Covers all the bases pretty well.

*Note: If you want to leave a comment that's fine.. just know that my views are *MY* views and no comment from anyone will change them.  Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything - 100% :)  Thanks for sharing!  I have been very impressed with all I have heard about Palin.

Too bad about the day care. It's so hard to know if the quality of care is going to be up there and when the kids are too little to really vocalize what is going on it's hard to know.

Have a great day!

Janis

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that the daycare didn't work out. Look into a pre-school. Heather's is very structured reading, craft, play and lunchtime. She goes half day and we have the option of how many days she goes. I know you might have to wait till Winter for Zoey to turn three if you want her and Jk to be in the same class. I would feel the same way if I was paying that amount of money and not getting anything more then a gloriffed play date.

Anonymous said...

I rarely comment but had to throw my 2 cents in here.
 I do not know much about Palin...just what the media is throwing out there...but she is nothing like Hilary.  The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are women.   Having said that, I do think it is wrong to throw the mistakes of her teenager daughter into the spotlight.  That is a personal and very private matter and should be kept that way.  
Anyway,  it is good to see someone talk politics on their journal.  I know it is a touchy subject.  Voting is a right that was fought for in the past for women and we should never forget that.

Tracie

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you... not one bit. You are an exceptional mother. The right time and place will come along, and you will know who you can trust your babies with.

takingheart.blogspot.com