Saturday, December 29, 2007

Tiny, tiny scare

Today I went to the bathroom and looked down at my panties (always do this even when not pregnant... habit after losing two babies to miscarriage) and there is this big clot of blood.. most of it was brown, old looking blood but there was some red mixed in.  When I wiped it game out a pinkish, red.  So I call the OB's emergency line and a nurse calls me back.  She told me to just put my feet up for a few hours and then see it the bleeding continues.  If it did continue I was to call them back and we would go from there.  I knew it was probably nothing but since I've never had it happen to me before this late in a pregnancy I wasn't going to chance it.  I had also been having more braxton hicks (false contractions.. it's the way the body "practices" for labor) in the last couple of days.  Anyway, after a few hours of having my feet up and having a couple of laughs (Kent having to herd the kids around while he was trying to get his things done... a.k.a typical day for me) the bleeding quit.  So I was thankful for that.  Hopefully it won't return and I can continue with my uneventful pregnancy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I've given the "bleeding" speech many times over the phone and in person at work all of the time. Your blood vessels (cervical) are very engorged during pregnancy, and break easily... usually happens with intercourse, vaginal exams, from a tramatic fall, or from even moving furniture (not supposed to do when pregnant.) I always suggest to put your feet up for an hour, drink a big glass of water, and make sure the baby has moved at least ten times in that hour... and that the bleeding stops or slows way down. As long as your baby is moving, and you are not filling one pad in an hour (front to back and side to side), than you are probably JUST FINE.

If you've been contracting more than six an hour (even braxton hix...) than you need to call your OB... especially if you have spotting, because sometimes that is too much if those contractions are changing your cervix too early. Stay off of your feet if you can, rest and drink lots of fluids, pee often, and you can usually get them to stop on your own... but if you still have more than six an hour, you need call your OB.

I've loved all of your Christmas photos, I hope to post some recent ones of the kids soon. Take care and Happy New Year!

~Erin

Anonymous said...

Has it stopped? Your mother tried to call me and it scared me...You and Kent might want to slow it down some on "date nights"...lol..

Aunt KK