Thursday, November 18, 2004

Jon Kent is HERE!!!

Sorry everyone that this has taken so long, but we ran (and are still running) into some health troubles with me.  ICK!  (I'll explain)   And excuse my spelling errors....my head hurts too much to really care at this point..lol.   OK...   Sunday afternoon I was for the most part feeling fine.  I was still having some contractions but nothing regular or *too* painful.  Kent's granny mention that my face was AWFULLY red and thought that I might be having blood pressure problems.  I told her that the night before when we were in L&D that my BP was 150/90.  She said well I would keep an eye on it.  Anyway, later on that night Kent came in with a BP monitor and I started messing with it.  Sure enough...my BP was coming back with numbers like 150/98, 160/100.  So, I call the hospital and they tell me to come in for monitoring.  When I get there my BP was a little high but not *AS* high as it was at home.  So they took some urine and told me they were going to monitor me for a little bit.  Well, as while we were there my BP started going up as I was having contractions.  So, they gave me some pain meds (heavenly) and told me they were going to keep me over night.  At this time I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced.  So, I go to sleep and the next morning around 6ish the doctor comes in and checks me.  I am 3cm dilated.  So he said let's keep her and start her on some potocin(sp?) because her BP is still too high.  They also put me on magnesium (sp?) for the BP which is a muscle relaxare so they had to up the potocin.  My BP was still going into the high 100s so they thought for sure (but never told me until later) that I would have a c-section by the end of the day.  Well, around 9ish in the morning they came in and gave me an epi because they were fixing to break my water and knew that my BP wouldn't be able to handle the pain.  Can I say...EPI's are AMAZING....it was just tooooooooo goooood!  Well, after they broke my water I was at 3.5cm and about 80%.  About 4 hours later they checked me and I was 5cm dialated.  They upped the potocin again.  Around 3:30pm they checked me again and I had went from a 5 to 8cm in like an hour.  Everyone was pretty impressed.  I frankly don't remember...lol.  Anyway, the nurse called the doctor and told him and he said that they might want to check me again.  Sure enough when she came back in around 4:30pm I was complete and ready to push.  They started getting things ready.  She told me to go ahead and start pushing while we were waiting on the doctor.  As soon as I did the head crowned with the first push.  She was like "whoa wait".  With 6 more contractions and 12 minutes later....(go me) Jon Kent was born at 5:05pm at a TINY 5lbs and 8ozs 19 1/2 inches long.  We were expecting a 7lb or 8lb baby but got a precious preemie weighter...lol.  He is going GREAT.  He gained 4 ozs while we were in the hospital.  I am breastfeeding but with him being so small I am supplementing with formula until my milk comes in.  Which it still hasn't.  My BP in the hospital still was high but nothing to worry about...or so they thought.  I am home now...we got home yesterday and my BP is back into the 100's.  I have to go for a doctor appointment tomorrow at 9:15am.  But other than that we were all doing just fine.  Jon Kent is a wonderful baby and he is the cutest thing EVER!  Kent has really fell into the daddy role.  He is amazing with him.  Well, sorry for the book. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Jon Kent. What a cutie.  Sorry your sick. Hopefully you feel better soon so you can enjoy the little man.  
http://journals.aol.com/charmedone111079/LifesdailyAdventures

Anonymous said...

AWWW...what a cutie pie!!  Congrats to both of you! And say goodbye to any decent sleep  : )
Tracie

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!  He's beautiful.  http://journals.aol.com/martinsek5/RandomThoughts

Anonymous said...

He is sooo adorable! You must be so proud! Thanks for sharing your birth story! I am glad everything went well.Jon Kent suits him! I breastfeed and never regreted it.I am glad dh is helping it makes the marriage even better!

Anonymous said...

He is so cute.  Congrats!!!!!!!!!!   I am so happy for the three of you.  Enjoy!!!!!!
((((hugs)))
Leigh
http://journals.aol.com/gizmosmom321/Aplaceformetotalk

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have your baby, and you are now a family.  Hope your BP improves, and many prayers to Alabama for you and your little blessing.
~Erin

Anonymous said...

YAHOOO!!  I'm so happy for you Mommie!!!  He looks so cute!!  Thanks for the pictures you emailed me =)

So was it painful?  

(((hugs)))
~Dana

Anonymous said...

In all honesty...the beginning was painful because I didn't have any drugs! ;o)  But once I got my epi it was actually pretty nice.  Even when I started pushing it didn't hurt.  It was just a lot of pressure!

Anonymous said...

Emily~  The pic is adorable!! Congrats again to you and Kent.  He is such a QT pie.  My son Zachary was double his weight. LOL  10lbs 2 oz!!  Can you say OUCH! :)  You must be so proud of your new little family!  Can't wait for updates.  Take care of yourself too!