Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Band Nerd

When I was in high school I played in band all four of my years there.  The first two years I was there I played trumpet and marched with the band.  The last two years I was in the band I was on the color guard squad.  My senior year I was captian of the squad.  Looking back on those years I always thought I was somewhat cool.  I had plenty of friends and I tried to stay up to date on all the fashions.  The other day in my mind I was thinking about those days and remembering all the fun we had and all the "drama" that happened during that 90 minutes of band.  And all I can see are a bunch of band nerds.  Even the most popular of people in the band...I still see as band nerds.  We all thought we knew it all.  We thought we had things figured out.  But to look back and realize what I know now compared to what I knew then...I was clueless.  I had no idea what real life was like.  I had no idea what truly was ahead of me.  At that point in my life I was "worry free".  Being a band nerd was a cake walk compared to life now.  The hardest thing then was asking my dad for money and trying to remember all the notes and routines.  Now...between bills and D&Cs life is totally different.  Somedays I dream of being in high school again...just like when I was in high school I dreamed of being on my own.  It's funny how things change in such a short time frame.  When I have kids...I'll encourage them to enjoy being that band nerd while they can...cause once they get into the real world they'll wish they enjoyed riding on moma and daddy's coat tails a little more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was the mouse in school, but what I wouldn't do to go back. It was so simple. I never had to make any desicions now I am older and my decisions seem to be all weong.