Saturday, January 24, 2004

It's scary sometimes

I stay at home while my husband works in a federal prison.  He is a correctional officer there.  Right now he is still labeled a rookie until he gets his first year in.  He only has 4 more months.  His schedule has been to say the least wacky.  He works a month on first shift, a month on second shift, and a month on third shift.  But recently his schedule has changed like every week.  It gets confusing sometimes.  My days are totally messed up and most of the time I don't even know what time it is.  I try my best to stay on his time table but sometimes it's hard.  The hardest thing about Kent working in a prison is you never really know what is going on.  Kent is only allowed to tell me very undetailed things and the rest I really don't want to know about.  Just because I know if I did I wouldn't sleep at night.  If Kent is ever late from coming home and he didn't tell me he had other plans I begin to worry and get scared.  I start thinking...was there a riot?  Did he get hurt?  Did he have to separate a fight and got caught in the middle of it?  For the most part I feel fine with him working there.  Kent's dad works there and has worked there for almost 20 years.  It just hits me sometimes that he is working around murderers, theives, robbers, and just criminals in general.  Half of those people are serving life sentences...so what do they have to lose?  I know Kent is in God's hand and amazingly I always find great peace in knowing that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. My hubby used to be a correctional officer at a juvenile prison. Yeah, those are just teenagers, but the majority of the population was 2 times larger than my husband, and most of them didn't get released at 19, just taken across the street to the prison. Teenagers can be awful.

Anonymous said...

I forgot, if you ever wanna talk about his job or anything, I'm open. :) Just email or IM.