Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Getting married too young?

During my second term at college I was in a class with a late 20's early 30's divorced woman.  Apparently her marriage wasn't a joyous union and thus ended in divorce which made her very bitter.  When she found out I was 18 and engaged you would have thought I killed someone.  The look of bitterness just filled her face.  She proceeded to tell me how crazy I was to throw my life away for "some random guy".  Random guy?  Let's see...I've known Kent since I was about 7.  We grew up in church together and first were friends and then we became girlfriend, boyfriend.  And then after almost 4 years of that we were engaged.  Yet he is just some random guy.  She then told me that getting married at 18 was way too young and I should get my education first and live a little.  What's the point?  When you know that this is the person you want to marry...what's the point in waiting?  By this point she was mad at me for whatever reason and told me that I would never finish my course of study after getting married.  That as soon as I said I do I would come back to campus and drop out.  This discussion went on for weeks...it ended only because we went on Spring Break...which is when I got married.  I came back to class that first day...placed my books on my desk and told her that I was back from my honeymoon all refreshed and ready to learn.  She told me it wouldn't last through the first year.  After that term I never saw this lady again.  But if she happens to be reading this...I did finish school with a degree and ahem...we will be married TWO years this March.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoyed your journal (I am reading aol's favorites). I too was married when i was 17 and in high school, I met my husband when I was 16. EVERYONE said we wouldnt last, im now 30 and we have been together for 14 years, married 13. We have three beautiful girls. I also finished college It CAN be done. Its so frustrating when you hear the negative comments. Hang in there its a wonderful ride!!! http://journals.aol.com/hra73/HeathersMemoirs/ Heather~ hra73@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I must say I'm with you on knowing that it's the person you wanna marry why wait! hehe Then again everyone could be jumping my case but I'm happily in love. :)

Anonymous said...

i have to say. .thats how my mom and dad did it. .and they are still married.. now getting married for me young.. (18) was a mistake.... but for them it was a good thing. .it sounds like it was a good thing for you also.. lots of luck...
shelly