Tuesday, February 3, 2004

Homeschool vs Public School

I'm was always in public school.  I never really knew about homeschooling.  My dad was a high school math teacher (and still is) and my mom worked at a bank.  It was just natural for me to be in a public school.  My friends where there and that's where I felt comfortable.  Kent on the other hand was in public school until he was in the 5th or 6th grade.  Then his mom took him out to homeschool.  Kent's sister and brother have both been homeschooled all their lives.  I have friends who were homeschooled and have been better for it.  I know people who were homeschooled when they really needed to be in public.  So what am I getting at?  Well, bascially I am trying to figure out what to do with my own children.  Right now, I don't feel comfortable homeschooling my kids.  But I don't want them to go to the local schools here either.  Kent and I have both talked about it and have looked at all the pros and cons.  Sure we still have plenty of time to find an answer...heck..we aren't even pregnant yet.  But I think about it a lot.  If we had a child right now that was of school age we would probably pay extra for our child to go to an out of county school or private.  I'm not saying that once the child gets over that I won't homeschool.  Cause I want to homeschool when they get older.  I just want to make sure they have all the basics down first.  Oh well...we still have plenty of time to think this over and decide.  I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice for my children and that they have the best chances in life to better themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was homeschooled from kindergarden through my senior year in high school. I absolutely loved it! But it sure was a shocker going from always being homeschooled to going to college! :) I didn't realize all the crazy stuff that goes on the world, ya know?
Katie